Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Replacement

Tuesday was Sarah's day to have the kids. However, she is in Hawaii on vacation for two weeks with a friend.

So Monday night I. asks me if I can take them to the mall because Mommy is away. I asked her why she wanted to go to the mall and she began to cry. On Thursdays, when Mom has the older kids, she takes them all to the mall and buys them things. But when she has I., C. and J. on Tuesdays, they only stay at her apartment. I asked her what they do at Mommy's apartment. Play on the computer. What does Mommy do? Play with the baby and talk on the phone. She never buys us things.

I'm pretty sure this is because the baby is so young and it's hard to go to the mall with all three of them.

So I told her I would take her and C. to the mall but I wasn't going to buy them anything. Not for nothing, but I'm not a McDonald's Mom. We could look around, browse, play at the play area they have there, and go out to eat, but that's all.

She seemed happy with that, so that's what we did and we had a great time.

However, yesterday before I got home she called her mother in Hawaii to say hi. Apparently this is what she asked her mother:

I: Mommy, can Miss P. replace you while you're gone?

So I had a conversation with her before we left. I explained that I will never replace her Mom, not even when she's on vacation. Her mother will always be her mom. I may eventually be a stepmom and someone who loves her deeply, but I can't ever take that place. She said, that's because you already have a baby in your belly. No I., I said. I have more than enough love to go around. In fact, if I had the choice to be your mommy I would be. I would LOVE to be your mommy because you are such a special girl to me. But that's not the way it is. You already have a mom and no one can ever take her place. I want you to know I still love you dearly though, and you'll always be special to me.

By the way, I asked, what did Mommy say when you asked her that question.

Yes.

No comments: